Thursday, October 14, 2010

Road Respect

A round of applause for F*! The blog is lovely.

I'm going to start off the sharing with something really simple.  Driving is something that wreaks havoc with people's tempers, I've noticed.  Bad days start out with a lot of traffic more often than not.  So instead of centering my thoughts around my car and where I need to go and how fast I need to get there, today I thought about making everyone else's commute happier.  It's so easy to turn road rage into road respect -- people have low expectations when it comes to other drivers.  Surprise them!  Let someone into your lane!  Leave room for people to turn in bumper-to-bumper traffic!  I've seen chain reactions set off dozens of times.  Someone would do something nice for me, and in turn I'd be reminded to do something nice for someone else.

Compassion is something a lot of people forget about while they're in the driver's seat, me included... but today I delayed my trip by thirty seconds to let a school bus take a left turn in busy traffic, and I always slowed down to let people in.

-- J

*It's not as catchy-sounding as when Gossip Girl says it. But I guess initials work.

No comments:

Post a Comment